When an urgent situation occurs, government and disaster reduction units need to contact people who may be affected. Traditional public warning systems, such as alarm, broadcast and TV, cannot effectively provide real-time alert that people need. Therefore, the popularity of the mobile devices has made them ideal for emergency alert notification channel. The Cell Broadcast System (CBS) is an effective and mature mobile technology that can send messages in a one-to-many basis to a target area, where mobile devices have been supported Cell Broadcast function. Through the CBS, warning messages can be sent out in a timely manner to broadcast information on hazards and dangers to general public, so that they can take contingency plan. It is a typical location based service.
- CBS includes a Cell Broadcast Center (CBC) most commonly established within the network system of the telecommunication service provider. The CBC would form a Cell Broadcast Entity (CBE) with one or more cell broadcast content providers.
- Content providers could use the CBE to create messages, select the target area, and send them to the CBC that is responsible for mapping the target area to a mobile network base station.
- The CBC sends messages to the connected radio network controller (MME/RNC), which manages data broadcasting, and RNC forwards them to the base station of the area selected by the content provider.
- The message is sent out in a one-to-many basis to the target areas immediately
- Service is available for most telecommunication networks in the world.
- Pre-registration is not required for mobile device users.
- Messages can be sent out in receivers' preferred language.
- It utilizes dedicated network signaling, so it would not be affected by network congestion.
- Government and disaster reduction units can send out warning messages through Cell Broadcast (CB) to general public, so that they can take contingency plan.
- The popularity of mobile devices allows more people to receive emergency alert notification in advance.
- In a high-speed network, it can be upgraded as a multimedia broadcast, sending and streaming videos, audios, images, files, etc.
- In the future, telecommunication operators could provide their customers with innovative application services, such as mobile advertising. It may also help the operators optimize Internet resource usage.
The product is applicable to telecommunication area. Through the integration of the CBS with the network of a mobile operator, it sends out warning messages to general public via base station during emergencies.
- Chunghwa Telecom
- Far EasTone Telecom